What is the one thing you can add to your outfit that instantly slims and elongates your legs, makes your stomach flatter, lifts your booty, and makes your femininity unstoppable?
Don’t believe me?
Ask any drag queen. They will tell you, the ability to rock a pair of fabulous heels is uniquely feminine, even if that high heel is a size 17.
Still don’t believe me? Go grab a pair of high heels and get in front of a mirror. Notice how your posture changes once you’ve slipped them on. In a pair of high heels you back arches, your pelvis and chest are thrust forward, your butt sticks out a little more and your calf muscles tighten.
There actually is physics behind this! As heel height increases, the location of the center of gravity is elevated causing a decrease in our stability. We auto correct our posture to maintain stability, mainly increasing the sway of our back, and this in turn changes how we stand and carry ourselves. But just because we have gravity on our side, it doesn’t mean walking in heels is easy!Ever seen those women in heels clunking down the hall or the street? It looks as though they have bricks tied to their feet? They look uncomfortable and rather than taking note of how fabulous her figure looks and how sexy she is, all you can do is focus in the “clunk clunk” sound she makes when she walks.
Ever wonder if YOU were that person? I am not talking about how you feel 6 hours into a long night of dancing in high heels and several cocktails. We’ve all had occasions where the very thing that makes us feel so sexy, high heels, also makes us want to rip our feet off only to return them to our bodies after a long soak in a hot bath. I am talking about how you walk down the halls of your office or along a city block, warm summer air around your bare legs as it causes your skirt to sway gently.
Ever wondered how you can stride gracefully in high heels? Well we’re gonna tell you how!
1. Put the heels on and just stand. That’s right. Just stand. Get in front of a mirror and get your feet used to how your weight is distributed and how your posture has changed. Take a few minutes and check out your profile, small steps in front of the mirror, taking all of you gorgeous long legged self in!
2. Get off the carpet! it is hard to walk in stilettos if you aren’t on a firm stable surface. Carpet is usually padded, the heels sinks in and you can’t quite find your balance.
3. Take small steps at first. Concentrate on putting your heel down first and rolling onto the ball of your foot.
4. Swing your arms to keep balance
5. Practice practice practice
6. Cross feet one over the other slightly when walking, like you are walking on a tight rope (that will help with the clunking)
7. Sway your hips slighty
8. Have confidence. Keep your head high, shoulders back and own it. Own it.
Give it a go and let us know if it worked for you!
Do you think we missed any tips? If so, you have to share your secrets with us ladies!
Joanna & Amber
(but mostly Joanna)